We have a strong tradition of expertise in the most complex and intricate areas of property law.
5 Stone Buildings has a strong tradition of expertise in the most complex and intricate areas of real property, including:
- land registration
- Stamp Duty Land Tax and other related tax issues
- easements and rights of way
- restrictive covenants
- options, rights of pre-emption and overage agreements
- adverse possession
- trusts of land
- constructive and resulting trusts
- proprietary estoppel
Acting for a wide range of clients, including developers, investors, estates, indemnity insurers and lenders, as well as individuals, Chambers offers a full service in these areas. Members appear in real property matters in all courts from the specialist property tribunals up to Supreme Court. Members of chambers have appeared in several of the leading proprietary estoppel cases, including the House of Lords decision in Thorner v Major & others  UKHL 18.
In addition, Chambers has extensive experience in relation to professional negligence disputes arising out of these areas of work.
Landlord and tenant
Members of Chambers also undertake litigation, advisory work and drafting in connection with all areas of landlord and tenant work including:
- business tenancies (including lease renewal and termination under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954)
- residential tenancies (including protected tenancies and statutory tenancies under the Rent Act 1977, assured tenancies and assured shorthold tenancies under the Housing Act 1988)
- housing association matters
- long leasehold matters (including leasehold enfranchisement and service charge disputes)
- dilapidations and disrepair claims
- agricultural tenancies
- possession actions